A successful spot check reveals a hidden creature.
- Ability: wisdom
- Classes: arcane archer, assassin, champion of Torm, dwarven defender, red dragon disciple, shadowdancer, ranger, rogue, shifter, weapon master
- Cross-Class: yes
- Special: The alertness feat grants a +2 bonus on spot checks. Rangers receive a bonus on spot checks against their favored enemy. Elves gain a +2 bonus on spot checks, and half-elves gain a +1 bonus.
- Use: Spot is part of the detect modal action. In passive detect mode, checks are made automatically every round. Active detect mode in a modal action reduces the normal movement rate and makes the character perform an active spot, as well as search and listen checks.
- +10 DC if the spotter is in combat.
- +5 DC if the target is standing still.
- -5 DC if the spotter is standing still.
- Size modifiers (tiny: +8, small: +4, medium: 0, large: -4, huge: -8).
- Area spot check modifiers.
- +5 DC for stealthed players (only), if they are in the back arc.
- +5 DC at night if the spotter does not have a light (or darkvision).
- -10 DC at night if the target has a light on them.
- Cannot spot invisible creatures.
- Cannot spot anything while blind.
- The feats alertness, artist and blooded grant a +2 bonus on spot checks.
- In Shadows of Undrentide, this skill is used to find tracks hidden in snow.
- Post by Brenon Holmes, BioWare programmer, preserved by the Wayback Machine.