Listen alerts a character to hidden creatures that may be nearby.
- Ability: wisdom
- Classes: arcane archer, assassin, barbarian, bard, dwarven defender, harper scout, monk, pale master, ranger, red dragon disciple, rogue, shadowdancer, shifter, weapon master
- Cross-class: yes
- Check: Listen detects hidden creatures by opposing their move silently check. A successful check renders the hidden creature visible, and makes it a valid target for the listener.
- Special: Standing still provides a +5 bonus to a listen check. A character with the alertness feat gains a +2 bonus on listen checks. Rangers gain a bonus when listening against a favored enemy. Elves, gnomes, and halflings gain a +2 racial bonus to listen checks. Half-elves receive a +1 racial bonus.
- Use: Listen is part of the detect modal action. In passive detect mode, checks are made automatically every round. Active detect mode is a modal action that reduces the normal movement rate and makes the character perform an active listen, as well as spot and search checks.
- +10 DC if the listener is in combat.
- +5 DC if the target is standing still.
- -5 DC if the listener is standing still.
- +1 DC for every 3 meters between listener and target.
- Size modifiers (tiny: +8, small: +4, medium: 0, large: -4, huge: -8).
- +5 DC for every 40cm of object (including creatures) between listener and target in outdoor areas.
- +2 DC in indoor areas if the line of sight is blocked and the target is within 4 tiles.
- Area listen check modifiers.
- Cannot hear silenced creatures.
- Cannot hear sanctuaried creatures.
- Can only hear invisible creatures within the max attack range.
- Can only hear creatures within the max attack range when listener is blind.
- Both silenced or deafened creature can hear others creatures normally however. This is probably bug.
- Post by Brenon Holmes, BioWare programmer, preserved by the Wayback Machine.