A chaotic evil character does whatever his greed, hatred, and lust for destruction drive him to do. He is hot-tempered, vicious, and unpredictable. Thankfully, his plans are haphazard, and any groups he joins or forms are poorly organized. Typically, chaotic evil people can only be made to work together by force, and their leader lasts only as long as he can thwart attempts to topple or assassinate him. The demented sorcerer pursuing mad schemes of vengeance and havoc is chaotic evil. Chaotic evil represents the destruction not only of beauty and life but of the order on which beauty and life depend.
This alignment is seen by some to be the most vile, as it seeks harm both to individuals (evil) and to the organizations formed by individuals (chaos). Some chaotic evil characters do actively pursue these goals out of principle, while others are "merely" out for themselves, taking whatever they want by whatever means possible. In both cases, the character tends to be ruthless and brutal.
The extreme of the chaotic evil alignment is represented in Neverwinter Nights as a rating of "0" in both law-chaos and good-evil. The alignment title is "destroyer". The outsiders who represent this alignment are the demons.
- Has no qualms about hurting or killing anyone; some even kill innocents for fun.
- Rejects honor and self-discipline as weaknesses.
- Will say anything to accomplish goals; keeping one's word is done only when opportune.
- Accepts another's authority only when forced.
- Will betray friends and teammates to further selfish goals.