|1: Shelgarn's persistent blade|
7: Mordenkainen's sword
9: Black blade of disaster
Innate level: 9
Descriptor: summoned item
Components: verbal, somatic
Range: short (8 meters)
Area of effect: point
Duration: concentration, 1 round / level
Spell resistance: no
Description: The caster creates a black blade-shaped planar rift, resembling a greatsword which fights at her side. The blade cannot be harmed by physical attacks, but it can be affected by dispel magic or similar effects.
For the purpose of bypassing damage reduction, the sword has an enhancement bonus equal to your intelligence bonus or your charisma bonus (for wizards and sorcerers respectively) to a maximum of +20. The spell requires the caster to concentrate on it — casting spells or performing any other action than walking or talking may result in a concentration failure and end the spell.
- Requires Hordes of the Underdark.
- The intended enhancement bonus based on ability modifier is blocked due to a bug in the script (the weapon becomes unalterable before the enhancement is applied). Instead, the blade has a +5 enhancement bonus and a +15 attack bonus. (A fix for this is available on the Vault.)
- The "concentration" required by this spell is not continuous. Rather, it is checked every six seconds (during the summons' OnHeartbeat event). If at the moment of the check, the caster is considered to be not concentrating (because of either an action being taken or an effect the caster is subject to) then the spell is broken. What happens between checks is not relevant, so it is possible to get around this limitation with careful timing, for which haste may be useful. (One tactic is to build an action queue consisting of a spell to cast followed by an emote or two, then repeating. Healer's kits have also been used instead of emotes, but that is naturally limited by the number of kits possessed.)
- The actions a caster can take that are considered to break concentration are exactly the following: attacking, casting a spell (including spells from items), counterspelling, disabling a trap, flagging a trap, picking a pocket, and taunting.
- The conditions a caster can be under that are considered to break concentration are exactly the following: confused, dominated, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, polymorphed, sleeping, and stunned.
- A strength of this summons is its on-hit property — planar rift — that can destroy many targets with a single hit.
- In addition to not being harmed by physical attacks, the blade is immune to all damage and negative effects. (It is flagged as a plot creature.)
- The black blade of disaster can only be destroyed by Mordenkainen's disjunction or dismissal. In particular, it is not affected by banishment, word of faith, or other breach or dispelling effects targeting the blade. (Dispels targeting the caster can unsummon the blade, though.)
Custom content notesEdit